Field Trip Background

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Favorite Baby Items; Birth-3 Months

HAHA!!! One day I'll get the hubby to pose like this in our wraps. 
1. K'tan wrap
My K'tan has become my second skin. We have an Ergo, Maya, and Hotsling as well.. they are all fantastic. But the K'tan is by far my favorite. Most people think it's a Moby; it's made from the same stretchy cotton but requires zero wrapping and is super quick and easy to put on. I wore it for our 6 hour plane flight last month because I could take it on and off while sitting in my seat. I wear Finn in it between 2-3 hours a day... it's his favorite place to be. You can get them at Buy Buy Baby or off the K'tan website, or you could save yourself $50 and make one. Check out this page for a DIY tutorial.


2. Twinkle Lights
At Christmastime we learned that a quick fix for any fussiness was to hold Finn in front of the Christmas tree; he would immediately quiet down and stare at the lights. I picked up a battery-operated mini strand of lights at Target (runs on 4 AA's) and wound it around the handle of his car seat... instant hit. They are a little harder to find now that holiday stuff is off the shelves, but tons of websites sell them online. These lights blink.. I bought a second strand that didn't and he was far less interested. Call us redneck if you'd like, but these will be staying on the car seat well into summer.

3. Raw Shea Butter
Great, cheap, all-natural lotion. Whenever Finn's arms or legs are exposed in public and someone has the audacity to touch him, they often ask what lotion we use.. he's that soft! It's the only lotion I use as well. Also works great for helping prevent stretch marks during pregnancy. It is a little greasy and has a playdough-like smell, but both the greasiness and the smell disappear about 10 minutes after you rub it in. I buy mine off Amazon; it comes in a 5lb chunk from Ghana. After melting a handful on the stove and blending it with some olive oil it becomes a little softer and easier to apply. I'll probably whip some up to sell on Etsy one of these days.

4. Trend Lab Cloth Diapers
Found these puppies on Target.com while trying to use up a giftcard. Charlie Banana and Kawaii diapers, but for price & ease, Trend Lab rates high with us! The liner snaps in.. I don't have to stick my hand in a mess-filled pocket to pull the liner out. It also has seemed to fit Finn's legs the best.. no red marks. I had never heard of them before and am pleasantly surprised! They run about $12 a diaper.
*UPDATE: In the long run, these turned out so/so.. once he started crawling, they didn't hold much in and don't fit as well.

5. Frankie the Frog
Have I mentioned that my kid likes lights? He's really good at putting himself to sleep, and loves to stare at the stars on the side of the crib while dozing off. The music on it isn't exactly relaxing, but we use the "heartbeat" sound a lot. Frankie is a Summer Infant slumber buddy.. also at Target.

6. Swaddlers (pre-made)
Little bug loves to be swaddled and seems to sleep much longer when he's wrapped up snug. We have plenty of swaddling blankets, but he's a Houdini and manages to wriggle free of all of them. The pre-formed swaddlers with velcro tabs hold him all night.
We use the Kiddopotamus ones from Target; The Bonkie swaddles have awesome reviews as well, but are double the price. (Can you tell we spend a lot of time at Target???)

7. Wet Bags
I recently ordered a couple wet bags from Beth at Pink Paper Pigeons. The bags arrived 2 days after I ordered them (and a custom order, at that!) and I could not be happier with them. Until now, we had been putting our soiled cloth diapers in plastic bags until we had enough to wash.... ick. Let's just say our nursery finally smells fresh again! The XL holds about two days worth of diapers, the small goes in the diaper bag for diapers on the go/ dirty outfits. Love LOVE these wet bags! Check out Beth's Etsy page, Pink Pigeon Paper.
*UPDATE: Still really like the XL.. has held up incredibly well for being washed every 3 days for a year! The small is a little too small.. the opening at the top is too narrow and is really difficult to get a cloth diaper into without getting your hands.. err.. nasty. I'd go up a size. 

8. Dr. Brown's wide neck bottles
We don't use bottles often, but when we do.. these are the ones. Wide neck helps prevent nipple confusion, air releasing system prevents air bubbles being swallowed. Finn is a spitter.. yet rarely spits at all when we feed him from these bottles.

9. Manual Breast Pump
A must for traveling. I have an electric medela pump too, but I like having one I can toss in the diaper bag. On road trips, it's easy to pump & feed without having to pull over! It was also great to have when we flew last month.. there wasn't room in my carry on for the full electric pump. I have the Evenflo SimplyGo Pump.. I think it was around $15.

10. Spit-up De-stinkafiers
The little mister spits up. All. The. Time. I bought little spray bottles from the travel section at (you guessed it) Target and filled them with vinegar and water... about 1:3. We keep one in every room (plus one in the diaper bag) and spray it on whatever he's chosen to spit on this time. The vinegar smells goes away when it dries and helps prevent the sour milk smell on items that you can't immediately wash. I'll be honest... I wear the same shirt for the majority of the day. If I changed every time he spit on me, I'd go through 8 outfits a day. A little vinegar tides me over 'til that glorious moment that I get to slip into my fresh-smelling jammies.

Those are our faves from birth-3 months. I'll put up a favorites list every couple months because I know I'll find other must-haves as he gets older! 

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of F staring at the lights. He is the most precious. Love all your tips! Can't wait to apply them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I web site possessor I believe the content matter here is rattling fantastic , appreciate it for your hard work. You should keep it up forever! Best of luck.
    South Shore Spark Collection Twin Mates Bed, Pure Black

    ReplyDelete